Thursday, July 30, 2009

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid Wrap-Up


It's July 31st. The last day of July. The last day of the Penny Pinching Pantry Raid.
Even though I didn't keep within the $100 budget, I still think I came out ahead. Here's where I stand:
Groceries: $272.70
Eating Out: $225.53
Compared to the previous months, this is marked improvement. Especially considering how much we traveled in July. I'm going to shoot for it again next month, too.
FREEZER:
  • 6 oz. queso fresco
  • 1 bag + 1 partial bag chopped broccoli
  • partial bag biscuits
  • 1 Steamfresh Meals for Two
  • 1/2 bag chicken tenders
  • 2 pie crusts
  • 1 partial bag potatoes obrien
  • 2 Lean Cuisines
  • 1 gallon bag vegetable broth
  • 1 gallon bag chicken broth
  • waffles
  • 1 unidentified piece of meat (It's probably deer loin...)
  • 1 chopped green pepper
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 6 cups blackberries
  • 3 sliced yellow squash
  • 2 sliced zucchini
  • 1 8x8 pan stuffed shells
  • 1 8x8 pan lasagna
  • 1 quart-bag deer meatballs
  • coffee
  • 2 balls of pasta dough
PANTRY:
  • 1 Kroger bag of new potatoes (thanks to my father-in-law's garden!)
  • saltines
  • partial bag egg noodles
  • 1 partial box spaghetti
  • 1 bag pecans
  • Karo syrup
  • 1 partial jar peanut butter
  • 2 bread mixes
  • 1 cheeseball mix
  • 1 box beginet mix
  • bisquick
  • 1 partial canister oats
  • wheat gluten
  • dried onions
  • 1 pkg onion soup mix
  • cocoa
  • corn starch
  • masa harina
  • sugar, splenda, flour, corn meal, brown sugar and powdered sugar
  • assorted tea and hot chocolate mix
  • 1 box sure-jell
  • partial box of couscous
  • 1 canister bread crumbs and panko bread crumbs
  • baking powder and baking soda
  • 2 boxes jello pudding mix
  • lemonade mix
  • 1/2 bag soy beans
  • assorted spices, vinegar and oils
  • 1 canister whey protein
  • chow mein noodles
  • 3 cans hotdog chili
  • 1 can kraut
  • 1 partial box Kashi Go Lean
  • 1 partial bag Baked Lays
FRIDGE:

  • partial quart of skim milk
  • 2 Tb stick butter
  • 1 tub of margarine
  • eggs
  • coffee creamer
  • margarita mix
  • 2 partial bottles of pancake syrup
  • 1 partial quart of cottage cheese
  • 1 fruit cup
  • 2 jello puddings
  • pickle spears
  • 1 quart homemade bread and butter pickles
  • 1 jar pickled beets
  • 3 sodas
  • 6 cukes
  • corn tortillas
  • celery
  • partial bag of spinach
  • 5 tomatoes
  • handful of green beans from my garden
  • half a package of American cheese slices
  • goat cheese
  • feta cheese
  • blue cheese crumbles
  • provolone cheese slices
  • 5 pieces string cheese
  • a tiny bit of the jar of minced garlic (I stretched it all month long!!!)
  • partial head of garlic
  • 1/3 wedge of pecorrino cheese
  • 18 pack of Miller Lite (payment to my dad for feeding my cats when I'm at the beach next week...)
  • assorted condiments
DEEP FREEZER/GARAGE SHELVES:
  • 8 lbs. deer burger
  • 1 deer loin
  • 1 wild turkey breast
  • 1 box Kashi Go Lean
  • 6 Italian sausages
  • 2 pt. pepper butter
  • 1 jar garlic powder
  • 2 bottles Spicy V8
  • 2 bottles mustard
  • 3 bottles hot sauce
  • 1 canister oats
  • 8 qt. green beans
  • 6 qt. homemade pickles
  • 1 qt. tomato juice
  • 8 qt. weiners and peppers
  • 3 pt. weiners and peppers
  • 1 pt. homemade hot sauce
  • 4 pkg of hotdogs
  • 1 pt. pickles
Last month, I spent $300.03 on groceries; and $482.62 eating out. For two people. That. is. ridiculous. Even if I didn't keep it under $100 for the month, one thing I did learn is to use what I have, stock up when I can, and plan meals a little better. I also didn't make too many trips to the grocery store, which was nice. I froze several yellow squash and zucchinis, berries and made a mess of pickles, which will help out with the grocery bill throughout the year.
All in all, I made progress, and I think I'll try it again next month.

No comments: