Thursday, July 2, 2009

Okay... I'm in for the Penny Pinching Pantry Raid


Well, I thought "there's no way," when I first read about Susan's (She's becoming doughmesstic) Penny Pinching Pantry Raid Challenge. But after I came home from a week-long trip to Boston, and didn't feel like grocery shopping, and I thought I had "no food in the house!!!", I looked in the freezer, and realized I could put that trip to the grocery store off until tomorrow evening. I have a lot more stocked up than I thought, and I need to get rid of some of this stuff, anyway. And I realized, vegetable gardens will be coming in the next month, so it's time to clean out the freezer and pantry to make room for the new stuff I'll put up.

The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. I would have an extra hour or hour and half per week. I would hopefully have an extra $250+ dollars at the end of the month. What could I do with the time and money I'd save?!? So I did an inventory, and I'm glad I did. I found two jars of canned goods that had gone bad, and I threw away some stuff in the freezer that had been there a while ... Gross. After looking at the inventory, I already see about 10 meals without even going to the store. And I can rely on the generosity of family who's gardens are already producing. We got a bag of squash and cukes just the other day from my brother-in-law. That, plus, I conveniently went to the store on June 30th and bought enough for a couple weeks worth of meals. The only drawback is that I am going to Philly for a conference for a week (but I get a per diem, so I'm only going to count any money I spend above that.) And, Jeremy are thinking about going away for a night for our anniversary on the 15th. So, eating out will have to count toward the $100. Jeremy said he was "in" as long as beer didn't count toward the $100.
Here's where I stand:

FREEZER:
1 pkg turkey lunchmeat
2 c. shredded zucchini
6 oz. queso fresco
1/2 a gallon bag of veg scraps (for making broth)
1/2 bag biscuits chopped broccoli
1 Steamfresh Meals for Two
1 frozen pizza
2 c. squash
1 ea. partial bag of broccoli and peas
1/2 bag of chicken tenders
2 pie crusts
1 bag potatoes obrien
2 Lean Cuisines
3 lbs. deer burger
1 bag frozen corn
2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 gallon bag of cubes of chicken broth
1 unidentified piece of meat
waffles

PANTRY:
1 lb. new potatoes
saltines
partial boxes of pasta (lasagna, linguine, shells and egg noodles)
bags of cornmeal, flour, sugar, brown sugar, splenda, powdered sugar and coconut
1 bag pecans
karo syrup
2 partial jars of PB
4 bags assorted bread mixes
beignet mix
bisquick
1 partial canister oats
wheat gluten (no clue why I bought this. It's unopened.)
dried onions
coffee
1 pkg ea. onion soup mix and taco seasoning
cocoa
corn starch
masa harina
13 bags of fruit snacks
assorted tea
1 box of sure-jell
2 partial boxes of rice and a partial box of couscous
1 canister bread crumbs and panko bread crumbs
baking powder
1 box granola bars
2 boxes jello pudding
hot chocolate mix
lemonade mix
1 jar honey
1 jar apricot preserves
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 bag soy beans
assorted spices, vinegars and oils
2 canisters whey protein
1 pkg fish fry batter
1 can tuna
chow mein noodles
4 cans assorted beans
3 cans hotdog chili
1 can kraut
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can almonds
1 partial box Kashi Go Lean

FRIDGE:
1 loaf of bread
1 stick of butter
tub of margarine
3 hot peppers
1 bell pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
6 oz. filet of salmon
1 qt. + 1 c. fresh blueberries
2 pkg hotdogs
1 pkg hotdog buns
1 pkg hamb. buns
1/2 carton of egg beaters
1 egg
1/2 gallon of milk
2 growlers of beer
coffee creamer
margarita mix
1 qt. cottage cheese
1 qt. plain FF yougart
3 fruit cups
14 jello puddings
pickle spears
2 5lb bags flour
2 jars of pickled beets
8 oz. FF cream cheese
5 sodas
5 small squash
3 cukes
corn tortillas
flour tortillas
1/2 pkg lunch meat
1 whole pkg + 3 cheese slices
goat cheese
feta cheese
blue cheese
3 slices pepper jack cheese
2 containers of mushrooms
1 lemon
1 pkg basil
1 garlic clove
6 stalks celery
8 carrots
2 partial jars weiners & peppers
1/8 jar minced garlic (YIKES!)
16 oz. deer kilbasa
4 1/2 onions
condiments/dressings/etc.
2 candy bars
1 small partial can crisco
15 yougarts
1.3 lb. pkg of turkey burger
about 1/3 a head of iceberg lettuce
6 sticks of string cheese

DEEP FREEZER/GARAGE SHELVES:
2 2-c. pkg shredded cheddar cheese
1 homemade 8x8 pan lasagna
1 container cool whip
11 lbs. deer burger
1 deer loin
1 wild turkey breast
2 boxes of Kashi Go Lean
6 italian sausages
3 pt. pepper butter
1 jar mayo
1 jar garlic powder
3 bottles of V8
2 bottles mustard
3 bottles hot sauce
1 canister oats
8 qt. green beans
1 qt. pickles
2 qt. tomato juice
9 qt. weiners and peppers
4 pt. weiners & peppers
1 pt. homemade hot sauce
4 pkg hot dogs

Unfortunately, yesterday I ate lunch out with co-workers for $9.52. (But it was sooo good.) Today, actually, fortunately, I will be receiving my order from the Monroe County Farmers' Market. I've never ordered before, but some friends of mine swear by it. They deliver to Charleston every week, and the selection is awesome. I ordered 1 lb. free-range pork sausge for $4, 1 dozen free-range eggs for $3, a 6 oz. pkg organic salad greens for $4, and a bunch of fresh oregano and basil for $1.50 each, plus a $5 delivery fee for $19 total. Check it out at http://www.monroefarmmarket.com/market.php


Last night, I made "Buffalo" turkey burgers: 1.3 lbs. ground turkey @ $3.00; 5 buns @ $0.87; 3 slices of pepper jack cheese; a couple tsp. of hot sauce mixed in the meat; 2/3 container of blue cheese crumbles @ $1.32; 4 oz. cream cheese @ $0.35; lettuce; and a cucumber (FREE!) Dinner for two for around $5.54!!! I ate lunch out and had 1 c. Kashi for breakfast; 1/4 c. milk and 1/2 c. of cottage cheese.
Today:
French toast for breakfast for me. Jeremy didn't eat breakfast
For lunch, I had a lean cuisine and a jello pudding cup. Jeremy ate a leftover turkey burger and a soda.
For snacks, I had a hard boiled egg, yougart, 1 stick of string cheese, a granola bar and 1 bag of fruit snacks.
For dinner, we'll have salad w/ grilled salmon, mushrooms and feta cheese.

No comments: