Monday, July 6, 2009

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid continues...

I am so glad I'm doing this. I didn't go to the store yesterday, like I do most Sunday afternoons. And I didn't miss it one bit! And I came across another jar of canned goods gone bad. Who knows how long that stuff would've set on the shelf in my garage? I had a fabulous weekend with lots of good food (mostly because we were visiting family), and I didn't spend a dime.

Thursday evening, I picked up my first order from Monroe Farmers Market. 1 lb. sausage, 1 doz. eggs, 6 oz. of salad greens (which was a gallon-size ziplock bag) and 1 oz. each of fresh oregano and basil (which were pint containers! I must not have a good sense of weights, cause I thought it'd be much less than that. At $1.50 an ounce, that's way cheaper than Krogers!!!!)--all for $19.00. I was so impressed with the quality of the food, I can't wait to order more this week.
Thursday for dinner, I made salad with a 6 oz. grilled salmon filet that I marinated in balsalmic vinegar on top. I threw in some sliced Baby Bellas and some feta cheese. Delicious!

Friday, we were off work, and I was feeling inspired by having fresh sausage, so I made sausage, eggs, HOMEMADE biscuits (the frozen ones are always better than my homemade biscuits, but I was on a roll!) and sausage gravy. I did not fail as a Clay County wife... It was yummy. The sausage was surprisingly lean, too. Friday evening, we went to my mom's to celebrate her birthday (July 2nd) and cooked out. Had some awesome BBQ ribs (thanks, J.R.!). I made cannellini bean, tomato, and basil salad (so easy and perfect for cookouts cause it doesn't need to be refrigerated) and mom made potato salad. We drank our two growlers of beer we bought at Smokey Mountain Brewery when we were in Gatlinburg a couple weeks ago.

Saturday, I "yard sale'd" at my mom's house all day and didn't do too bad. I got rid of a bunch of stuff, which is always good. For lunch, I made homemade pizza with the rest of the sausage, baby bellas, oregano, goat cheese and carmelized onions. I also made an apple pie cause it was the 4th of July, with all ingredients from my mom's pantry. Saturday night, we ate hamburgers and hotdogs at Jeremy's parents house.

Yesterday, I didn't eat breakfast but Jeremy had two waffles. For lunch, we each had a leftover hamburger and pasta salad. And for dinner, I grilled some chicken tenders basted with pepper butter (kinda like hot mustard). Made mexican cornbread and had a fresh cucumber from my brother-in-law's garden. He gave us another Kroger bag full on Saturday, too, so we'll be having cukes every evening for a while.

Today, breakfast: oats (me) waffles (Jeremy)
Lunch: Lean Cuisine and a pudding cup (me) and leftover hotdogs and a pudding cup (Jeremy)
Dinner: Chili w/ leftover cornbread
Snacks: yougart, egg, string cheese and granola bar (me) fruit cup and Milky Way (Jeremy)

So far, $71.48 left to spend and 24 days to go.

No comments: