Monday, August 16, 2010

Some days being a homeowner isn't all picking out wall art and hosting cookouts.

Last Tuesday, I got up for work and went into the kitchen to feed my cat like I do every other morning. I looked out the kitchen window into our back yard and wondered why Jeremy had cut down such a big tree. I hadn't had my coffee yet. Then it occurred to me. He hadn't cut it down. It just fell. My second thought was, how did I not hear it fall?


This tree was HUGE. It was a red oak, and actually was standing on the bank across from a streambed at the bottom of our lot. It was most definitely not on our property. But now it was. It smashed our fence in two places.


So, we spent the better part of Sunday cleaning up the mess. It's a good thing I'm married to a forester. He knows his way around with a chainsaw. Luckily, the tree fell right across Jeremy's woodpile. But, he got three loads of wood last week for our fireplace. Now, there's about 3 more loads' worth on top of it. I guess I'll be nice and toasty this winter.



We didn't get finished cleaning up the mess, but we made a big dent in it. We were able to put the chain link fence back up in one place, but I'm not sure what we'll do about the part laying under the 2-foot-thick truck of the tree.

No comments: